Best Forums and Social Networks for Expatriates
Expat forums are websites or a section of a website that allows Expats to communicate with each other by posting messages. Whether you are looking for work, the best places to shop, or meet with other local Expats, Expat forums are a great resource.
More and more, former forums have migrated to social media. Capitalizing on the fact most people are already using those sites and familiar with how they work. Some examples of Expat communities on popular social media platforms are:
Most Popular Facebook Groups for Expatriates
Facebook groups for expats can vary widely. Some focus on networking while others are for buying and selling stuff. Use your judgment when doing your research.
- Expatriates and International Citizens
- Expatriates in Paris
- Trending in China
- American Expatriates
- Expatriates in UAE
Top Expat Twitter Accounts to Follow
- @IntCitizens – International Citizens, Global Nomads, and World Travelers Unite. Travel. Share. Live!
- @InterNationsorg – The Largest Global Expatriate Community from Expats for Expats.
- @expatchild -Parenting is tough in any language. This Twitter feed has advice for those looking to relocate children, and pets, to another country.
- @WendyAppel – Advisor, Exec Coach, Keynotes, Author: InsideOut Enneagram: Game-Changing Guide for Leaders. Member Forbes Coaches Council.
- @in_expatland – Building community by sharing the good, less good & just plain odd of
#expat #repat life.
- @EmptyNestExpat – American expat blogger recommended by the Wall Street Journal, London Telegraph, & Daily Sabah newspapers. Retweets do not necessarily equal endorsement.
- @TheExpatGroup – Providing information and support to foreigners residing in Malaysia or planning to come here.
LinkedIn – Networking Groups for Expats on LinkedIn
- Expatriates & Global Mobility – Connect with professionals around the world working living away from home. There are more than 200 Million global citizens.
- Expat Network – Welcome! A network for expat networkers, expatriate services professionals, human resources, and recruiting managers.
- Forum for Expatriate Management – The Forum for Expatriate Management is the first major organization designed solely for Global Mobility practitioners.
- British Expat Networking Group – – This is a group for British expats around the world who have left the UK and taken up residency to pursue employment overseas.
- The Global Mobility Network – This group has been established to help global mobility professionals network and to answer questions about global mobility policies and tax.
Top Expat Instagram Accounts to Follow
These resources might provide all the interaction you need or they may only be a starting point. There are literally hundreds of online communities out there, including ones dedicated to Expats in any particular country like this one for Expats in Singapore.
Join IN. Be positive. Contribute!
Like most things in life, you’ll only get out what you put into these forums. Being a lurker on expat forums isn’t going to harm anyone but at the same time, it isn’t going to help you all too much either. Sharing your experiences and knowledge as an Expat will provoke conversation and in turn new knowledge or perspectives about your new home away from home.